Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Naw-Naw" and "Baba's" Visit

This past week we enjoyed a great visit from my parents. They flew in on the 16th just in time for Christian's 2nd birthday on Saturday. Locally we enjoyed a visit to Swan Lake, Palmetto Park, and Baker's Sweets. Steve and my dad went on base a couple of times to play golf. And on Saturday evening the boys (minus the little one) attended the USC vs. Navy game.Monday through Thursday we enjoyed Charleston! This was our 3rd time, but my parents' first time to visit. We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn (because we love the location, and relative affordability) and enjoyed some new sites. On Tuesday morning we took a boat over to Fort Sumter where the civil war began in 1861. The 30 minute ferry ride was enjoyable and it was exciting to see dolphins both along the side of the boat and looking out into Charleston Harbor from the Fort. (Steve and C were also thrilled to see some C-17's flying back to Charleston AFB.) So glad that we were able to take the ferry and see Fort Sumter, such an interesting part of American history. Tuesday afternoon we went on a horse-drawn carriage tour around Charleston looking at historic sites and houses along Rainbow Row. We weren't sure how Christian would fare, but he seemed to enjoy "Luke" the horse and sitting in momma's lap...plus it helped that Nana was giving him mints (which she is now known for.) I especially enjoyed this tour, something different and we had a great guide.Wednesday morning my dad was able to play golf at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort, while my mom, Steve, Christian, and I ventured around the pier (C was looking for whales,) Battery Park (White Point Gardens,) and the King Street shops. Wednesday evening my Dad and Steve toured the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon (something Steve and I saw on our first visit) while my mom, C, and I perused Charleston City Market and some additional shops. Yes, I would say we definitely had a very busy visit in Charleston. Oh, and did I mention the food? We tried some new (to us) restaurants including: the Noisy Oyster, East Bay Deli, Tommy Condons, and Hymans Seafood. And of course, a few Starbucks drinks and praline samples. :o) We headed back to Sumter on Thursday and my parents left on Friday morning. Though it was a week long visit, it seemed to go by so quickly. Gah! Don't you just hate that? Thanks for the special memories "Naw-naw and "Ba-ba!"

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Looks like a fun visit! Have you guys been to Wild Wing Cafe in Charleston? My family went on a road trip back in 2000 and I remember that restaurant having really awesome buffalo wings. Happy belated birthday to Christian!

Anonymous said...

See... I WAS on that trip!